The manipulation of the soft tissues of the body is known as massage. Hands, fingers, elbows, knees, forearms, feet, or a Massager device are commonly used in massage techniques. Massage is generally used to relieve stress or pain in the body.
Massage may affect the production of hormones connected to blood pressure, anxiety, heart rate, and other vital factors in the body.
Beneficial effects of Massager
Massage benefits include reduced trait anxiety, pain relief, depression, and temporarily reduced blood pressure, state of anxiety, and heart rate. Additional testing has revealed an immediate increase in muscle performance as well as shortened recovery times. Massage may promote skeletal muscle regrowth and remodeling, activate the parasympathetic nervous system, which may stimulate the release of endorphins and serotonin, preventing fibrosis or scar tissue, increase lymph flow, and improve sleep.
Here we mention Single-dose massage effects vs. Multiple-dose effects of massage.
- Pain relief: Massage is said to provide significant pain relief from musculoskeletal injuries and other causes. Massage may help people with acute, sub-acute, and chronic lower back pain in the short term.
- State anxiety: Massage has been shown to reduce state anxiety, which is a temporary measure of anxiety in a specific situation.
- Blood pressure and heart rate: Massage can reduce blood pressure and heart rate temporarily.
- Pain relief: Massage may alleviate pain in the days or weeks following treatment
- Trait anxiety: Massage has been found to reduce trait anxiety, or a person's general anxiety vulnerability.
- Depression: Massage has been shown to alleviate symptoms of subclinical depression.
By evaluating changes in the Hoffman's reflex (H-reflex) amplitude, massage has been demonstrated to lower neuromuscular excitability. Modest or light fingertip pressure massage had no effect on the H-reflex, indicating that the inhibitory effects are due to deep tissue receptors rather than superficial cutaneous receptors.
Other Benefits of Massage
Massage may have effectiveness in the following health issues.
Knee Osteoarthritis (OA). Massage has been proven to be useful for persons with knee osteoarthritis in a number of studies.
Hand arthritis. According to some research, a combination of massages could lessen hand pain by up to 57 percent.
Fibromyalgia. Massage therapy for five weeks or more can decrease pain, anxiety, and depression in individuals with fibromyalgia.
Back pain. One of the most common reasons people seek massage is for low back and neck pain. And studies supports its usefulness for that purpose.
According to a study, deep tissue massage by itself reduced back pain as well as massage combined with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines.
How Does Massage Work?
What is most important is the amount of pressure used in the massage. The use of moderate pressure to stimulate pressure receptors – or nerves beneath the skin that send pain-relieving signals to the brain – leads to a reduction in
The key is to apply moderate pressure. Light pressure, such as touching the skin's surface or brushing it superficially, does not reach those pressure receptors. Light pressure can be just stimulating rather than relaxing.
These tools or devices are occasionally used during massages. Some tools are intended for use by individuals, while others are intended for use by the therapist.
- Tools used by massage therapists
Instrument-assisted soft-tissue massage uses stainless-steel devices to manipulate tissue, supplementing hands-on work.
A body rock is a serpentine-shaped tool that is usually made of stone. It is used to boost the therapist's strength and concentrate pressure on specific areas. It can be applied directly to the skin with a lubricant such as oil or corn starch, or it can be applied directly over clothing.
Bamboo and rosewood tools are also popular. They are derived from practises in Southeast Asia, specifically Thailand, Cambodia, and Burma. Some of them may be heated, oiled, or cloth-wrapped.
- Tools used by both individuals and massagers
There are battery-powered handheld massaging and vibrating instruments available, as well as devices for massaging the scalp after a haircut.
Vibrating massage pads are available in a variety of sizes, with some offering the option of heating.
Vibrating massage chairs can be used as an alternative to traditional therapy at home.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Electric Massager Tools
You don't have to leave the house to enjoy a relaxing massage anymore, thanks to modern electric massagers. All of these devices are available on the market, including anti-cellulite, cervical, reducers, feet, for the back, shiatsu, facials, and capillaries, as well as mattresses, armchairs, and electric massage seats.
Advantages of electric massagers
- relax and de-contract muscles
- improve skin elasticity
- relieve chronic pain
- aid in anxiety reduction
- support the digestive system
- They alleviate the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome in women and help them sleep.
- You can avoid trips to the physiotherapy centre, which saves precious time in today's society.
- There is no need for a second person, who is skilled in massage. You can use them yourself.
- They provide a high-quality massage, but obviously not at the level of a masseuse. They can be worn while doing anything else, such as listening to music. They are light in weight and take up little space, so they can be easily transported if you need to travel.
Disadvantages of electric massagers
Before purchasing electric massagers, there are some disadvantages to consider.
- Some of the best models can be costly.
- Nothing compares to the expertise of a skilled professional. When it comes to pain relief, a massage isn't always effective.
- When the cause is muscle strain, it improves; however, if the cause is a broken bone, laceration, or clot, it may worsen the issue. In any event, it is always advisable to seek medical advice first.
- You should also be aware of some contraindications and potential risks, which have only occurred in exceptional circumstances but should not be overlooked.
- The use of this sort of device can be resulted in a massive ischemic stroke in a very rare percentage of cases. It occurs when the internal carotid artery is dissected as a result of uncontrollable use on the front and side of the neck, or inside the throat. It is not a good idea to be terrified of massagers, but it is important to understand that they are not toys.
- There's a small possibility you'll get an electric shock. Modern massagers are sealed, and batteries and cables are covered in rubber or plastic to preserve them. However, a probable broken wire should be considered. Above all, avoid using it in the restroom or at the pool.
Electric Massager Precautions
Electric massagers are really effective. They're also really simple to operate. The nicest part about buying an electric massager is that you may use it whenever you want in the comfort of your own home. You don't need to make any plans or make an appointment with a masseur or therapist. However, there are some considerations to take before using electric massagers.
An electric massager, like any other electric equipment, has its own set of rules, regulations, and precautions to follow:
- Don’t Use on Swelling: Electric massagers should not be used on swollen areas. In fact, when the organs, skin, or other elements of the body increase, swelling occurs. Inflammation and building-up of fluid, such as water retention, can cause swelling, as well as sickness or injuries. However, an underlying condition isn't usually the cause of swelling. Prolonged standing or sitting, as well as muscle injury, can produce edema. An insect bite could also be the cause. Aside from that, consuming significant amounts of salt might cause swelling. As a result, until you determine the particular cause of your edema, u sing an electric massager is a risk.
- Never Use on Physical Injury: If you have a physical injury and press on it, it will cause sharp pain. You should not use an electric massager if this is the case. So, even if you don't have a wound, don't make the mistake of using an electric massager. This is due to the fact that it may aggravate your condition. Fractures, sprains, knee injuries, and swollen muscles are among the physical injuries.
Physical injuries include dislocations, achilles tendon ruptures, and strains. Furthermore, if there is a laceration or a clot, the situation may worsen. As a result, you should wait until you have fully recovered from your physical injury.
- Be Careful with Heating Massagers: If the electric massager becomes too hot, turn it off immediately. However, if you're comfortable using the heating function, go ahead and do so. But even so, you must ensure that the temperature is not set too high. As a result, adjust the temperature until you're comfortable. If you do not, you may develop burns, itching, rashes, and skin irritation. If you notice a sudden change in your skin, then you must turn off the heating function on the device.
- Vibrations near Neck and Head Region: The use of an electric massager on the neck and head is safe. However, if the vibrations from this electric massager are making you dizzy. Then stop using it. You should only use the vibration massage mode if it is comfortable for you and provides relief. But, if the vibrations make you feel uneasy or sick, it's a sign that you should stop using it.
- Massagers and Diabetes Patients with Neuropathy: Diabetes patients are more likely to have foot problems. Especially if they do not properly care for their feet. Then things get even worse for them. Fortunately, with proper foot care, most foot issues and complications can be avoided. Above all, a foot massage is excellent for curing foot problems. As a result,foot massager will increase blood circulation in your feet, reduce numbness and other serious complications.
- Precautions for Diabetes patients. They should avoid using massagers' heating functions. To be on the safe side, they should also avoid the vibration massage mode. Aside from that, it is critical not to massage the area where diabetics inject their insulin. The way their body absorbs insulin may be influenced by pressure in that area.
- Electric Massage Precautions for Neuropathy: Diabetes patients with neuropathy should avoid using heating functions when using an electric massager. This is because of the nerve damage associated with Neuropathy. As a result, those suffering from Neuropathy may have difficulty determining the massage intensity or heat levels. They may be unaware of the sensation and heat produced by the electric massager. As a result, they may continue to raise the temperature. As a result, bruising, burns, or overheated skin may occur.
- Keep Away from Water – Shock Hazard: An electric massager should not be used if there is water nearby. A bathroom and a swimming pool are two examples. It could cause a shock hazard if used in the presence of water. Only if the term "waterproof" is mentioned, then you can use the electric massager.
- Massagers and Pregnant Women. Certain electric massagers are safe to use while pregnant. As long as they use it with caution and care. It is best to avoid using electric massagers during pregnancy. This is due to the fact that any massager that uses heat therapy is extremely dangerous for a pregnant woman. Pregnant women should also avoid using the vibration massage mode. Massagers with a heating function use a high level of heat. This heat causes a significant increase in the pregnant woman's body temperature. As a result, the baby's heart rate increases. Furthermore, electric massagers, particularly back massagers, increase the risk of miscarriage or premature labour. Electric impulses used in electric back massagers cause the uterus to contract. This uterine contraction, in turn, causes labour to occur. Pregnant women should also avoid using massage chairs.
- Electric Massager Precautions for Children: Massagers are not recommended for children. Particularly for children under the age of ten. Children over the age of ten can use an electric massager under the strict supervision of their parents, or any dependable adult family member. Never let your child use the massager while you are away.
- Never play around or mess with an electric massager. Aside from that, use it correctly and not roughly. Keep all of these electric massager safety precautions in mind. Also, keep it in a dry and clean place.
How long should a massage last?
If you want to relax, a 50 or 60-minute massage is usually sufficient. You can certainly do a longer session of 80 or 90 minutes if you prefer, but anything longer than that may feel repetitive or leave you groggy afterwards.
How frequently can you use a massager machine?
It is advised to begin with a 30 to 60-minute massage 2-3 times per week. After a week, you can re-evaluate how your body feels and whether the duration should be increased or decreased.
Is it possible to overuse a home massager?
Excessive use has been linked to muscle damage, inflammation, and bruised tissues, as well as damage to the internal massage chair motor. So, take it slow and easy with your massage chair, especially the first time you use it. The cost of excessive use outweighs any possible benefit.
How long should I leave my massager on?
To keep your massager in good working order, we recommend using it for no more than 20 minutes at a time and letting it rest for at least 20 minutes. This prevents the massager from overheating, allowing it to serve you for many years.
Top 9 Best Massagers in India
One can select from a variety of options—some that provide heat and warmer temperatures for muscle loosening, while others provide mechanical relief.
The most common type of body massager is the vibrating type. This works by using motor vibrations to help the muscles relax, providing significant relief by not only loosening the muscle fibres around it, but also increasing blood flow across the area. Other advanced massagers use electricity to modulate a portion of the device so that it vibrates at a specific frequency.
Body massagers are an excellent way to relieve body aches and physical stresses, and here are a few options on the Indian market right now.
- Magic Massager
- It is a patented, complex 7-head structure that aids in massage head movement.
- It has a unique, rapid rotatory movement that aids in the relief of aches and pains.
- It has 8 attachment options for greater modularity.
- The 7-massage head technology contributes to more efficient massaging techniques.
- It can also be used across one's belly or lower abdomen, and has shown promising results in preliminary fat removal steps.
- The Magic Massager can also be used as an acupuncture complement, demonstrating how versatile the device truly is.
- Back Cushion Massager with Kneading and Heat
- The Back Cushion Massager with Kneading and Heat, with 3D Shiatsu kneading, provides the right amount of comfort when one rests their back, assisting in muscle relaxation.
- As an all-in-one cushion massager, the Back Cushion Massager with Kneading and Heat relieves neck and back aches by providing a cushioning area, making it easier to sleep for long periods of time.
- It also has an advanced heating feature that aids in the relief of back pain by increasing blood supply to the affected area.
- It is lightweight, making it easy to transport and manoeuvre.
- The Back Cushion Massager with Kneading and Heat has a simple on/off switch, making it simple to use and operate.
- Accusure Full Body Massager
- It’s one of the lightest products on the market.
- It also comes with three different attachment measures, giving the user more options; and it has two different adjustable speeds that can be used to fit the user's comfort standards, making it a more personalised experience.
- Pain Relief Body Massager
- It has a unique mechanism of improving blood circulation that tends to re-oxygenate muscles that have tensed during the course of exertion.
5- Face Massager 5 in 1
- The 5 in 1 massager plays a precise yet important role in improving certain facial problems such as pimples, acne, and early skin wrinkling. It has a precise movement pattern that not only massages the face but also increases blood circulation in general, resulting in better and higher blood supply to facial muscles.
- The Face Massager 5 in 1 can improve vascularity of the face. It is well known that relaxing facial muscles leads to a general sense of relaxation. Because of its handheld nature, it is both compact and mobile. Given its portability, this product is very easy to transport.
- Beurer Seat Massager
- The Portable Massage Chair is designed to ease and relax the aching muscles in your upper and lower back.
- This massager is ideal for use at home or in the car, providing full back support.
- Massager comes with 5 vibration motors for a powerful all-around massager with 2 heat intensity levels and 3 individually selectable massage areas.
- Body Massager Gun
- The new handheld massage gun is an ideal device for anyone suffering from a stubborn muscle strain or severe muscle spasms and seeking massage or physical therapy at home! This device operates quietly thanks to its brushless motor,
- It is durable, has adjustable speeds, and precise percussion, allowing you to use it whenever and wherever you want for instantaneous recovery and deep relaxing massage.
- This electric massager employs percussive stimulation to apply localised pressure and pulses to relieve pain, muscular tension, and stress, as well as to work out knots in your muscles and improve blood flow.
- This massager has three speeds, allowing you to easily adjust the percussion-per-minute to your preference and comfort.
- The product has a brushless high-torque motor that simply glides along with little to no noise. The massager's operating noise ranges from 35 to 55 decibels.
- The massage gun has a long battery life, allowing you to continue enjoying the benefits of a deep percussion massage. It can provide up to 3 hours of massage on a single charge.
- The outer body of the massage gun is made of glass fibre and Nylon 66, which stays put and does not break on impact. To protect you from injury, the handheld massage gun automatically turns off after 10 minutes of use.
- Theraband Roller Massager
- It's small enough to fit in a backpack.
- The Theraband Roller Massager has one of the most efficient methods of increasing blood flow to the applied regions, thereby providing an excellent massage.
- Because of its mobility, it is easy to transport. The Theraband Roller Massager is essentially a massager that can be stored in even the smallest of spaces, making it a useful product in terms of both compactness and portability.
- It is both long-lasting and simple to maintain. Cleaning the device is simple, which increases the product's value. It is very simple to use, which is another reason why the Theraband Roller Massager is a decent purchase.
- Thrive 717 Japanese Massager
- It reduces physical exertion and provides long-term relief from muscle pain. It has a distinct rotary motion that is quite beneficial in providing symptomatic relief.
- It is completely capable of increasing vascularity in the area to which the handheld massager is applied.
- It has three interchangeable heads, giving the user more options for a modular experience.
- Its plastic construction may deceive, as it is one of the most durable products on the market due to efficient engineering.