Ayurveda has been a part of the nation’s
culture for a very long period of time, ancient findings tell that it was the
product of old and Vedic wisdom, which allowed us to use herbs and body
postures (Yoga Asanas) to heal our body, mind and even the spirit.
Amidst all the terror spread in the world due to the outbreak of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), which has now infected more than a million individuals and killed over a hundred thousand of them worldwide as of 15 April, everyone is taking preventive measures until an effective cure is found.
As the most probable way of the virus
entering your body is through your respiratory system, it is highly likely and
obvious that you need to strengthen your lungs and immunity to ensure safety.
Staying hygienic is necessary but not enough, Ayurveda seems to have a way to boost ones immunity which
Ayurveda as an immunity booster
Experts suggest that “Ayurveda” is the key to boost immunity in this time of crisis. They have focused on medicinal herbs, for example, amla, giloy, shilajit and neem are useful in reinforcing the immune system which is critical to battling the deadly virus.
“We all know that strong immunity is necessary to fight any kind of foreign body or disease. Coronavirus primarily affects the lungs and the respiratory system. Eating a tablespoonful of Chyawanprash daily enhances the immunity, specifically that of lungs and the respiratory system,” Partap Chauhan, Director, Jiva Ayurveda, told IANS.
What the PM suggests
In his recent address to the nation, the Prime Minister Narendra Modi not only acknowledged the hardships faced by the populus during this lockdown period, showing his concerns for the people, he also mentioned how safety measures would help with the battle against this virus.
PM Modi, truth be told, exhorted residents to consume hot water and kadha habitually to help the Boost the immune system. Kadha is an ayurvedic drink that is made with herbs and is utilized to treat seasonal infections, for example, cold, influenza.
Instructions of Ayush Mantralaya
“To strengthen your immunity system, do adhere to the instructions issued by the AYUSH Mantralaya. Drink hot water and kadha frequently,” PM Modi said during his 22-minute discourse on April 14.
He recommends the measures suggested by the Ministry of Ayush. These are supported by Ayurvedic literature and scientific publications.
- Drink warm water throughout the day.
- Practice yogasana, pranayama and meditation for at least 30 minutes every day.
- Use turmeric, cumin, coriander and garlic in cooking.
- Take Chyavanprash 10 gm (teaspoon full) in the morning.
- Drink herbal tea/decoction (kadha) made from tulsi, cinnamon, black pepper, shunthi (dry ginger) and raisins once or twice a day. Add jaggery and/or fresh lemon juice.
- Have 150 ml hot milk with half teaspoon Haldi powder once or twice a day.
- Apply sesame oil/coconut oil or ghee in both the nostrils in the morning and evening.
- Perform oil therapy once or twice a day by taking one tablespoon sesame or coconut oil in the mouth (do not drink), swish in the mouth for two to three minutes and spit it out. Rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Having a sore throat or dry cough can be irritating and make you susceptible to viruses. There are a few remedies for it though,
- Steam inhalation once a day by adding fresh mint leaves or ajwain seeds in water
- Clove powder mixed with natural sugar/honey can be taken two-three times a day.
Words of Yoga Guru
The renowned Yoga guru, Ramdev said that,” In order to fight Covid-19, giloy and tulsi can be extremely helpful. If a person has symptoms of coronavirus. Consuming “Kadha” (decoction)of tulsi and giloy with turmeric, ginger and black pepper will boost immunity and kill all kinds of viruses and toxins.”
As we know that, prevention is better than cure, the preventive measures you perform will never be enough, but the more careful you are the better your chances of surviving this pandemic. One should leave no page unturned, be it science or Ayurveda. The government is working its best towards the safety of the country and you should too. WHO is updating all the necessary information every day, if you feel any related symptoms, do not hesitate to consult a doctor immediately